Thursday, August 27, 2009

Cooking with Auden: Sage Honey Cornbread

I have been a fan of corn bread. I vividly remember going to Scotsdale with my dad when I was maybe 12 and getting blue corn bread and thinking it was the coolest thing.

I have often been on the lookout for recipes that are easy and result in a moist bread.

I found this one on Epicurious and love it.

Sage Honey Cornbread
1 cup cornmeal (preferably whole grain, medium grind)
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
1 cup milk
1/2 cup honey
1 large egg
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter

12 whole fresh sage leaves

Preheat oven to 400 and place a oven safe skillet in while it warms up.

Mix the dry ingredients. This is Auden's specialty.


Mix the eggs, milk and honey in a separate bowl.
Remove the hot pan and add the butter, stirring until it is melted. Reserve about 2 Tbs and add the rest to the egg milk mixture.




Mix the wet ingredients into the dry and stir to just combine.

Meanwhile fry the whole sage leaves in the hot pan with the butter.



Pour the batter over the sage leaves. Bake about 20 - 25 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment