Sunday, November 15, 2009

Fireman's hat Cake

I am going to go over how to make a fireman's hat cake. This is less about the recipes used and more about the construction.

I started by making the shield out of gum paste and letting it dry for a couple of days so it was stiff.



I made three 9in round cakes and one 9 x 13. All chocolate (as if there is a choice).

I started by stacking the rounds and layering with chocolate buttercream.


I stated by carving the back, which was easier, then moved to the front.


Cover the dome with chocolate buttercream.


Cut down the base card board and place on top of the 9 x 13. I used several supports to hold the top of the bottom.


Then cover the base and smooth the edges.


For the ribs in the hat, I used modeling chocolate. Then covered the whole cake red buttercream.




After several passes, i smoothed out the red frosting.



I wrote the "LEO" and "2" on the shield and affixed it to the front.



To finish, I put the cake on a platter and added red, orange and yellow paper to give a fire effect.


2 comments: