Sunday, July 10, 2011

Dark and Stormy

No I am not talking about the crappy weather we have been having here in Chicago... A Dark and Stormy is what may be my new summer cocktail. It is a simple drink of ginger beer, rum and lime.

In my typical fashion, I decided to make my own ginger beer. (I looked into making my own rum, but the whole Still thing is a bit more than I want to take on.)

I found this seemingly simple recipe and went to work.

Homemade Ginger Beer

1 ounce ginger juice
2 ounces fresh lemon juice, finely strained
3 ounces simple syrup

10 ounces warm water
1/4 tsp yeast



IMG_8680

To make the ginger juice, finely grate the ginger. As you won't be using the solids its not necessary to peel it. I had already, so tossed the peels in the simple syrup to make a ginger syrup.

IMG_8681

With a cheese cloth, squeeze out the juice from the ginger.

IMG_8682

Add all the ingredients to the bottle, give it a shake and let sit 48 on the counter. After which pop it in the refrigerator.


IMG_8685

Now it's time for your Dark and Stormy.

Dark and Stormy
Ginger Beer
rum
lime

Fill a glass with ice and top with 1 - 2 oz rum, fill mostly with the ginger beer and squeeze in half a lime. Enjoy!

IMG_8738

No comments:

Post a Comment