Sunday, May 31, 2009

Saute it in Garlic

The last couple of weeks I have gotten several interesting new vegetables in basket from Irv and Shelly's.
The first are sunchokes or Jerusalam artichokes. I have know and eaten these for some time but for some reason never bought them. I made two dishes with them. One (not shown) was a simple salad with arugula and fresh shaved sunchokes. Then last night decide to make chips.

Scrub them, then thinly slice and cook as you would potatoes for fries.



I made a mixture of sunchokes, potatoes and radish.



The more interesting ingredient was pea vines. I was quite sure what to do with them, so the default "saute with garlic" was the trick. I am realizing that that will work with pretty much any vegetable if you do not know what to do with it. The whole vine is edible, flowers and all.


Saute galic in oil and add the vines. Cook for about 5 minutes until wilted. Then top with a touch of mustard dressing.

Mustard Dressing
2 Tbs Orange Juice
1 Tbs vinegar
1 tps mustard
5 Tbs EVOO
salt and pepper



No comments:

Post a Comment