Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Baked Eggplant with Cheese

Like everyone else I too get tired of making the same things over and over again, but sometimes you have a taste for something and the ingredients on hand. Often changing the structure will be enough to make it feel different without a lot of extra thought into a new recipe.

That happened last night. Rather than the typical Eggplant Parm I tried something new.

I once again started the same way, frying the eggplant.


This time I used some of the "sausage" to enhance the sauce. Also, we picked up some fresh basil plants at the market over the weekend. I finally got around to planting them.


I could not resist using some of the fresh basil in the sauce. (Here's hoping I do not kill the whole plant.)



Layer the sauce on the bottom.


Top with the eggplant.



Then add cheese. I used Parm, mozzarella and fontina.



Bake in a 400 deg oven, about 15 minutes. Then finish under the broiler to brown the top.


I also served this with a roasted tomato caprese.




No comments:

Post a Comment